Dates to Remember
The admissions process for schools always begins one year in advance. For example, if you are applying for the 2019/2020 academic year, you must submit your application in 2018. All private schools open their admissions in October, and close in January, allotting a 4-month window to both international and local students to submit their candidacy. While that may sound like a narrow time frame, parents who begin the process too late may end up with very little choice due to schools reaching their classroom capacity.
Things to consider before Applying
Before applying to any school, parents are encouraged to become properly informed on various aspects.
There are a lot of considerations that may go into this, but only a handful of factors are of the upmost importance. The top priority you should have is to ensure for a right fit for your child’s academic needs, as well as their daily environment. More often than not, parents tend to gravitate toward schools that are labeled as “top private” and/or “prestigious.” The second mistake made is determining their choice schools according to the Fraser Ranking system without understanding how in fact the Fraser system works, and what it actually says about its information chart. While attending a “top private” and/or “prestigious” school may be on every parents wish lists, they are not the right approach when transitioning your child into a uniquely different city, culture, and language setting. With this in mind, parents are encouraged to research, inquire and gather as much information as possible prior to making a decision. To proceed cautiously at this stage, it is best to filter your information from reliable sources such as school websites and conversation with school staff and/or directors. You may want to avoid non-education related individuals or companies when seeking information, as their motives can be questionable and not to your child’s benefit.
Endorsements and Reputation
Education Consulate is recognized and endorsed by both the public and private schools to conduct admissions. This includes entrance exams, interviews, and registration. We offer families a unique service securing peace of mind, and a customized approach, leaving no stone unturned. Our mission is to help each student become immersed in a setting that they will thrive in – academically - as well as socially.
Benefits of Applying through EC
While families can apply directly through schools, many choose to pursue with Education Consulate’s admissions service.
In contrast, EC’s admissions process offers a wide range of useful tools and information that encompass the requirements newly arriving families/students seek.
Families applying through EC receive the following benefits:
- A customized service that aims toward meeting your pre-communicated criteria. Moving to a new city is not an easy task, let alone finding the right school for your child while being thousands of miles away. For this reason, EC’s dedication to you and your child filters components such as: special needs, location, family budget, breakdown of various programs, etc...
- One on one consultations. The first and most important step in your decision, is to first become fully informed on the Quebec education system, the restrictions and/or eligibility’s your child will have, as well as understanding the intricate details of all your options and how it will impact your child from the on set, as well as the future. This is so due to the fact that Quebec is the only province in Canada that has particular by laws when applying to schools. These by laws can be navigated in such a manner that yields the best outcome for your child, given that the education system in Quebec is cumulative starting as early as grade 1. We ensure that each family obtains the proper knowledge needed in order to save valuable time and money, while guaranteeing the best results.
- Interviews and Entrance Exams. A fundamental step in determining the acceptance of a student in a private school is closely related to the interview and entrance exam phase. It is a this stage where first impressions are made. Upon assessing the results of the interview and entrance exam, we carefully go over all school options you’re child may be entitled to, and help guide you to choose which overall school would be the best fit both for you and your child. The advantage this offers to families is that it saves them the redundancy of the process (applying to numerous schools, going through several interviews, writing all entrance exams, as well as submitting many applications and various fees). Families applying through EC go through this step one time while obtaining all results to each potential school option.
- Processing time. Families immigrating from abroad as either international students and/or Permanent Residency holders always require results that are time sensitive. We recognize that the admissions phase is only the first part in your journey to Montreal, Quebec. With this mindset, we complete the admissions process in a maximum of 3 weeks time, with acceptance letter and registration. Furthermore, we are not subject to any deadlines, as we conduct admissions all year round and can apply 2 years in advance. Due to the high volume of students immigrating to Quebec, the wait times when applying through the schools can be upwards of 2 months depending on when you apply, the spacing availability in the school, and if you have been placed on a waiting list. In addition, we have spaces in schools that are reserved for students applying via EC. This is especially so for some of the schools that tend to fill up quickly once the schools open their admissions in October. This means that although space might be full with them, we may still have room available.
- Conditional Acceptance. Sometimes things don’t always go according to plan when applying to your first school of choice. For this reason, if we believe that there is something more that can be done before and/or after we inform you of the schools decision of acceptance, we will exercise it for you. For example, if you’ve decided to apply to a school that has more of a challenging academic program that may be currently beyond your child’s abilities, we will discuss with the school if a “conditional acceptance” can be applied. The same thing would be applied to a student who receives a rejection letter to a school. Instead of that decision being final, we will discuss the alternatives and try to set something else in place allowing your child the opportunity to improve. Please do note that we can only offer this service for families who apply through us from the on set. We cannot in any way accommodate families once they’ve begun the process on their own and seek our help to gain acceptance into a school once a decision has passed.
- School Tours/exploratory visit. From our experience, choosing the right school for children requires and encourages all parents to be hands on. In part, for parents who would like to make the trip to Quebec, and visit various schools first hand, we can arrange a few days of touring to thoroughly go over all aspects important to you and your child. The ideal time for this is also in October when schools have their annual open house event, however we do provide this year round as well. Therefore, whenever it is convenient for you, simply let us know 1 week prior to your arrival, as we will make the necessary arrangements.
To begin your admissions process, kindly fill in the form below along with any questions and/or comments you may have, and we will gladly assist you.